A new Mitigation Banking Instrument (MBI) for Greens WetBank was signed in September 2014. In keeping with that new MBI, the service area for Greens WetBank -- like all new mitigation banks -- considers the needs of the watershed in which it is located, rather than Harris County as a whole. This service area is defined using Hydrologic Unit Codes (HUCs), which are 8-digit numbers identifying a waterway sub-basin within its basin, sub-region and region.
The Primary Service Area (PSA) for Greens WetBank includes Harris County portions of the federally defined West Fork San Jacinto (12040101) and Buffalo-San Jacinto (12040104) basins.
- Projects in the PSA may purchase mitigation at a 1:1 ratio
The Secondary Service Area (SSA) for Greens WetBank includes Harris County portions of the federally defined basins adjacent to the bank: East Fork San Jacinto (12040103) and Spring (12040102).
- Projects in the SSA may purchase mitigation at a 1.5:1 ratio.
- If the project is within another mitigation bank's PSA, the Corps may restrict a credit purchase from the Greens WetBank, or require a written justification under the watershed approach.
Three areas within Harris County may request a credit purchase at Greens WetBank only on a case-by-case basis, and at mitigation ratios determined by the Corps:
- North Galveston Bay (12040203)
- West Galveston Bay (12040204)
- Addicks-Barker Reservoir Project Area Downstream of Dams